▷ Apple & Blackberry Crumble. (Yes, You can freeze them)
It is a happy coincidence that both wild blackberries and pink-skinned, fragrant-fleshed Discovery apples tend to ripen at the same time in August, and I love to watch the way the berries stain the apple magenta-pink as they cook together!
▷ Apple & Blackberry Crumble | The Brand Decò
By The Brand Decò
Recipe Category: Pudding
Recipe Cuisine: British
This is a healthy twist on an apple and blackberry crumble recipe. It's made with muesli, oats, and nuts for extra crunch. A delicious mixture of sweet and tart that combines beautifully with the sweet and crunchy crumble topping. Serve up with cream or custard for a delicious end to a meal.
A. For the crumble topping
- 120g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 300g Braeburn apple
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g demerara sugar
- 115g blackberries
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Ice cream, to serve
1. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Tip 120g plain flour and 60g caster sugar into a large bowl.
2. Add 60g unsalted butter, then rub into the flour using your fingertips to make a light breadcrumb texture. Do not overwork it or the crumble will become heavy.
3. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins or until lightly colored.
4. Meanwhile, for the compote, peel, core and cut 300g Braeburn apples into 2cm dice.
5. Put 30g unsalted butter and 30g demerara sugar in a medium saucepan and melt together over medium heat. Cook for 3 mins until the mixture turns to a light caramel.
6. Stir in the apples and cook for 3 mins. Add 115g blackberries and ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, and cook for 3 mins more.
7. Cover, remove from the heat, then leave for 2-3 mins to continue cooking in the warmth of the pan.
8. To serve, spoon the warm fruit into an ovenproof gratin dish, top with the crumble mix, then reheat in the oven for 5-10 mins. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Prep time :
Yield: Serves 4
Fat: 19 g
Fat: 19 g
Average Rating: 5.0Apple, Blackberry, Crumble, Vanilla, Ice cream, sugar