▷ Asparagus & Roasted Red Pepper Omelette
The omelette is a classic, but it’s all too easy to ruin it with everything from the wrong kind of eggs to inappropriate fillings. And never, ever, confuse it with a frittata
▷ Asparagus & Roasted Red Pepper Omelette | The Brand Decò
By The Brand Decò
Recipe Category: Omelette
Recipe Cuisine: French
When is an omelette not an omelette?
When it is a frittata. This is not a difficult philosophical question; it is as plain as the tortilla on your plate. Despite this, everywhere you look, frittatas are categorised with, or referred to as, omelettes
An omelette must be rolled or folded. You are aiming for a solid outer shell and – although the filling may contain ingredients with a certain resistant bite to them – the interior should be ethereally fluffy, gooey or even ever so slightly runny. The omelette’s core should be what foodies call baveuse, if you want to get all ooh-la-la about it.
What an omelette is not is a mixture of eggs and multiple other ingredients cooked as a whole disc in the pan and then, when solid, turned out. That is a frittata. The rules are simple. Do you cut it into slices to serve it? That is a frittata. Does it contain potato? That is a frittata. Does it need finishing in the oven or under the grill? Then, 99.9%* of the time, that is also a frittata.
- 2 Large eggs
- 3 asparagus spears, steamed
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Butter for cooking
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs. In a nonstick pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
2. Once the butter is melted, pour in the eggs and stir constantly with a rubber spatula. Once the eggs begin to solidify, swirl the pan to fill in any gaps. Run the spatula along the edge of the pan to make sure it doesn’t stick. When the eggs have set in an even layer, add the asparagus, roasted red pepper and feta. Carefully, by tipping the pan slightly, fold the omelette over on itself.
3. Serve immediately.
Yield: Makes 1
Fat: 26 g
Fat: 26 g
Average Rating: 5.0Egg, Omelette, Butter, Asparagus, Pepper, Cheese