▷ Homemade Baconator: Cheese Burger
Without referencing any grievances about the state of ground beef, the key to a perfect cheeseburger comes straight from the butcher. We got ours courtesy of Dickson’s Farmstand Meats, and boy was it beautiful to behold. Neither slimy nor pink, this natural, humanely raised and yet not grass-fed coarsely ground chuck was a fresh, bright glossy red, and an absolute pleasure to handle. Or maybe Jess just really loves raw meat, as demonstrated in our forthcoming “How to Shape Burger Patties.”
▷ Homemade Baconator: Cheese Burger | The Brand Decò
By The Brand Decò
Recipe Category: Burger
Recipe Cuisine: American
The All-American Cheeseburger has certain non-negotiable elements: American cheese is one of them. Rather than unwrap individual singles, get sliced cheese from your nearest deli counter — it tastes better and melts slower and more evenly. Dill pickle chips, sliced red onion and tomato, crisp lettuce leaves, ketchup and mayo are also involved. You can mix even the two condiments together along with some chopped pickles for Thousand Island dressing, a burger favorite, and it’ll still be an All-American Cheeseburger worth Instagramming.
- 1/3 lb. ground chuck
- 1/3 lb. short rib meat
- 1/3 lb. brisket meat
- 1 lb. thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 lb. white cheddar (sliced)
- 1/2 lb. Wisconsin extra sharp cheddar (sliced)
- 1/2 stick butter (melted & clarified)
- 2 buns (challah or brioche)
- Your favorite burger seasoning blend
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 large onions (large slices)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
1. The caramelized onions take the longest, so doing this first, or the night before is ideal as it will take about 1 ½ hour to complete.
2. Pour olive oil in a large skillet over low to medium heat.
3. Add the onions and sugar, and saute for an hour, stirring often to prevent burning.
4. After an hour, turn heat to very low and add the rest of the seasoning.
5. Continuing to stir often, cook for another 30 minutes. You are looking for a rich brown color.
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Yield: Makes 8
Fat: 9.8 g
Fat: 9.8 g
Average Rating: 5.0Burger, meat, Mayonnaise, Caramelized Onion, cheddar, cheese