▷ Mexican Food: Chicken Stew with Quinoa & Beans
▷ A Mexican Recipe: Chicken Stew with Quinoa & Beans
Spicy chicken casserole with a healthy superfood side dish of protein-rich quinoa.
▷ Chicken Stew | The Brand Decò
By The Brand Decò
Recipe Category: Stew
Recipe Cuisine: Mexican
Sometimes I get really excited about a recipe because it sounds delicious, but it almost seems too easy—do you know what I mean? Like, am I about to get duped here? Am I going to end up with a so-so meal? Maybe I’m too skeptical, but I’ve been let down before.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped into largish chunks
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 140g quinoa
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 x 400g can pinto beans, drained
- Small bunch coriander, most chopped, a few leaves left whole
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Natural yogurt, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the onions and peppers for a few mins until softened. Stir in the chipotle paste for a minute, followed by the tomatoes. Add up to a tomato can-full of water to cover the chicken and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the chicken breasts and gently simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, for 20 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with the stock cubes. Add the quinoa and cook for 15 mins until tender, adding the beans for the final min. Drain well and stir in the coriander and lime juice, then check for seasoning before covering to keep warm.
3. Lift the chicken out onto a board and shred each breast using two forks. Stir back into the tomato sauce with the sugar and season. Serve with the quinoa, scattering the stew with some coriander leaves just before dishing up and eating with a dollop of yogurt on the side.
Prep time :
Yield: Serves 4 or 5
Fat: 6 g
Fat: 6 g
Average Rating: 5.0Mexican, Chicken, Stew, Quinoa, Beans, lime