▷ Spiced pepper pilafs: Italian Stuffed
This is a great way to spice up your rice side dish. Add more or less red pepper flakes to taste. My husband thought I should have added more to my dish as it wasn’t very spicy at all. I’ve over spiced recipes before so I didn’t want to take that risk again and decided to just sprinkle the red pepper flakes in the dish instead of measuring it out. Next time I will add a little more red pepper flakes. I also already had all the pantry ingredients and was looking for a way to use my Priano Marinated Red Peppers from Aldi.
▷ Spiced pepper pilafs: Italian Stuffed | The Brand Decò
By The Brand Decò
Recipe Category: Spiced Pepper Pilafs
Recipe Cuisine: Italian
These spiced pepper pilafs are simple and easy to make but taste delicious! This colourful, vegetarian dish is also really good for you. If you want, you could add different spices or chillies, depending on what you like.
- 2-3 bell peppers
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- ¾ cup of rice
- 1½ cup vegetable/chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan, freshly grated
1. Cut peppers in half, removing the membrane and seeds.
2. Boil for 3-5 minutes until they are flexible.
3. Drain in a colander and set aside.
4. Cook rice in broth according to package directions. Set aside.
5. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high.
6. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes
7. Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
8. Add hot Italian sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink, breaking it up with your spatula.
9. Add cooked rice, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
10. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
11. Stuff peppers and place in a well-greased roasted dish.
12. Top each pepper with shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
13. Roast at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
Yield: Serves 6
Fat: 13.5 g
Fat: 13.5 g
Average Rating: 5.0pepper, onion, Italian, sausage, rice, cheese